3 Day Social Media Detox

Sunday 12 March 2017
I like most people my age spend to much time on my phone and laptop. Most of this time is spent on Social Media apps and websites and while my blog and social media in many ways is my hobby and job it isn't always healthy so for the next seven days I am taking a social media detox, yes you heard that right. I have tried so many times to have a 'break' from social media and to just stay off of it but I can't. I am addicted and 3 days without social media is going to be hard (I know it's only three days but it will still be hard okay!). I am going to schedule everything blog related so that I have no excuse to be on social media and I am going to put Social Media apps on my phone into one file and turn off all notifications.



As humans, we often spend time looking at out phones, rather than having conversations. I find myself being consumed by social media. Rather than spending time on doing things fo myself, I spend hours scrolling through Instagram and facebook watching other peoples' lives. Which is crazy, that I spend time looking at other peoples' lives rather than improving my own life. Social Media is something that I have become so reliant on rather than getting somebodies number I add them on FB, it is so much more convenient. Last year I went through my facebook and I unfriended every single person that I don't talk to anymore or has no purpose of being my friend on facebook. I now have 130 friends and before I have 8oo and something which is somewhat of a massive difference. The people I now have as my friends on facebook are people I actually want to interact with and would go and get a coffee with, not people that were three years below me in primary school.

My biggest struggle I think will be twitter, facebook messenger, and Snapchat. I tweet almost every small event that happens, I tweet too much and I spend way too much time on twitter. Snapchat anybody that follows me on Snapchat (paigemwea) knows I overshare and spend way too much time on there. I post EVERYTHING, and I am the first to admit that nobody probably cares and it also isn't healthy. It is not healthy to feel that need of validation from other people let alone other people online.


I will not be using any of the following Social Media platforms (the only reason I will be using any of these platforms is for my blog) :

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Snapchat
  • Blogger
  • Pinterest
  • Whisper
  • Youtube (except to watch my workout videos)
  • general internet scrolling without a purpose


What I will be using:

  • Emails: Only work and uni-related emails, though. NO blog or personal emails.
  • Phone calls: although not technically social media  I thought I would add it to this list for clarification
  • texting: I will still be texting because I need a way of communicating with the outside world. Also, I have just moved back to the city that my uni is in so my mum finds it necessary to call at least once a day and text at least ten times. I also need to be able to text for work and to sort times out with my therapist. 
I am prepared to feel awkward in situations I would normally just look at my one. This is the first week back at uni, and I have looked at my class lists and I know nobody so that's going to be fun while everybody else is on their phones. *Deep Sigh* ~googles conversation starters~

I am excited and also terrified which I don't think is a good thing, I spend too much time online so the next week I will have to actually interact with other human beings in human form. I am writing this Thursday night (or Friday morning depends on what you define 1 am as) so I have time to find activities and things to do without the internet and social media, I will also be turning off notifications nad I think that is all. 

I hope from this one week off of social media I will get used to not checking my online 'life' every five minutes and thus will start to spend more time on me outside the seven days.

Wish me luck, please.

have you ever done anything life this? Are you going to join me?
Let me know in the comments below.

No comments

Post a Comment