Saturday, 3 December 2016

Mental Health And The Holidays // December 2016 | Blogmas Day 3

For as long as I can remember I start to feel down at this time of the year. Don't get me wrong I love Christmas. I listen to Christmas music in September and Start decorating my house in November. I love Christmas but for some reason, I don't love this time of the year. I don't know whether that is because it is coming to the end of the year and I start to reflect on the years' events or it because I have more time on my hands and don't have anything else to do. This year I am going to try to do my best to not get the 'holiday blues' as I call them. Here are my top tips for getting through the holidays with slightly less stress, anxiety, and depression.

1. Plan. Plan. Plan.
I am an obsessive planner, I plan everything. This helps me to stay organised and make sue that my mind doesn't get bored which is when I start to get down, however, it also stops me from getting anxious about having to get things done because I know what needs to be done and I am not going to feel down.

2. Take time for yourself.
Christmas can be busy and stressful, it's important to always take time for yourself to unwind and relax. That maybe by going for a walk, or reading a book - anything that you enjoy and that makes you feel calm and centred.


3. Sleep.
Some people get time off over Christmas, while others have twice as much work. While both can be helpful in their own ways it is important to get enough sleep so that your body can restore itself. It will also help to boost your mental wellbeing.




4. Do Good.
Try volunteering at a homeless centre, women's refuge or other such place. It will make you feel good for helping other people out and the people you help out will also feel good. It is a win- win!



5. Alcohol.
This had to come up. It is important to remember that while you are drinking you may feel great,  it is a depressant and you should always drink in moderation. By not exceeding recommended amounts you will be able to maintain positive mental and physical health. Alternatively, you can reach for non-alcoholic drinks. 

6. If you are feeling low.
If you are feeling low it is important to ask for help. You can see me post on Depression here, where you will find some facts on depression and how to get help.

7. Budgeting
Christmas is a time where people often spend more money than they have. It is important to make a budget and stick to it, to ensure you don't feel any financial pressure. You can check out my affordable gift guides here.

How are you celebrating Christmas this year? Do you think you will use any of these tips?
Let me know in the comments below.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Paige Margaret | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig